Recreational Therapy Quick Facts


What kind of degree do you need to be a Recreational Therapist?

Recreational Therapists require a minimum of a Bachelor’s Degree to enter the field, however advanced degrees are available. Degree titles can include Therapeutic Recreation, Recreational Therapy, Recreation Therapy, or have an emphasis in any of those areas. (Ie: Recreation, Parks, and Tourism Administration with an Emphasis In Therapeutic Recreation)

How much does a Recreational Therapist make a year?

According to the Bureau Of Labor Statistics, the average annual salaray in the United States for a Recreational Therapist is $47,680. (

What colleges/universities have Recreational Therapy programs?

Currently there are nearly 80 universities in the United States that have Recreational Therapy Programs. (

Where can you work as a Recreational Therapist?

Recreational Therapists work in a variety of settings and with a variety of populations. The largest portion of Recreational Therapists work in the Long-Term Care (LTC)/Skilled Nursing Facilities (SNF) setting, followed by the Behavioral Health Hospital setting, and then the Physical Rehabilitation Hospital setting.

What is a Recreational Therapy?

According to the National Council for Therapeutic Recreation Certification (NCTRC), Recreational Therapy is defined as: “A systematic process that utilizes recreation and other activity-based interventions to address the assessed needs of individuals with illnesses and/or disabling conditions, as a means to psychological and physical health, recovery and well-being.” (

What is the job outlook for Recreational Therapists?

According to the Bureau of Labor Statistics the job outlook for Recreational Therapists from 2016-2026 is projected to grow by 7% which is about as fast as the national average for all careers. (

What are the requirements to becoming a Recreational Therapist?

Recreational Therapists must possess at minimum a degree in Recreational Therapy (or Therapeutic Recreation), complete a 560 hour internship, and pass a comprehensive exam to become a Certified Therapeutic Recreation Specialist (CTRS) through the National Council For Therapeutic Recreation Certification (NCTRC).

Where can I find a Recreational Therapy Job or Internship?

The best centralized places to find Recreational Therapist jobs and internships are: The Therapeutic Recreation Directory and